Jūgyokuin is a Shugendō (mountain asceticism) monastery thrived in the 15th century and once declined in the 16th century. In the early Edo period (17th century), the temple was approved to rebuilt on the former site of the castle because that the chief priest was a relative of the Nanbata clan.
These tomb stones are of successive chief priests and their relations. The temple was abandoned due to the proclamation for the abolition of Shugendō in 1872. Afterwards, the last chief priest Ueda Taiben became a schoolteacher and later served as a member of the Saitama Prefectural Assembly.
Index prev next
Nanbatajō Museum, Fujimi City Municipal Museum of History and Folklore