Shingashi Riverien transportation was presumably developed in the early part of the Edo period. Slow flow of the twisted course of the river with sufficient water was ideal for transportation. Many ports were built along the river. They connected Kawagoe and Edo as well as villages along the river. 6 of them existed in the city area.
River improvement work had begun in 1921 to straighten the course as flood damage prevention, and the river transportation system ended years later.
Distribution of River Ports along the Shingashi River
Livery Coat of the Shipping Agent
Signboard of the Shipping Agent
Seal of Myōgaya (Port Wholesaler)
Myōgaya Documents including Transaction Records
Index prev next
Nanbatajō Museum, Fujimi City Municipal Museum of History and Folklore